Monday, January 25, 2010

I never said I didn't like Madame Gaga

I continue to be amazed at what posts of mine generate comments months, sometimes years, after I wrote them. I just got a comment the other day from someone who, like my son in 2007, found herself eating a clementine with worms.

But I am starting to think the Lady Gaga post last spring will continue to generate comments for years to come. You may recall my tirade about 5th graders performing a talent show piece with Poker Face playing as background music. The comments that drove me nuts were those that clearly HAD NOT READ MY PIECE. I stressed I personally, as a then 40-year-old, had nothing against her music. I stressed that teens should be able to enjoy her. However, 2nd grade was too young to be listening to lyrics about getting drunk, bluffing with muffins, and love isn't fun unless it is rough.

So when I saw last week that I had another comment to this, I just waited for another "get a life" (Jake) or "god you're one of THOSE parents" (yes, Jordan, did you notice I am one of THOSE parents who teaches sex ed at my church?). So I was pleasantly surprised to read this gem from Lady:


I'm 10 and I listen to Lady GaGa,SHE'S MY FAVORITE,and I just don't bother asking so if your kid asks about something,just say it's adult stuff. I understand if your chil (sic) is in 2nd grade,of course but 5th grade is fine


I'll ignore the fact that a 10-year-old commented on my blog (my sons will be 10 in August and the idea of them roaming around the blogosphere gives me stomach pains) and just marvel at her very grown-up response. She agreed that 2nd grade is young but 5th grade is just fine.

Thank you, Lady.

And, Lady, don't tell my kids that my new favorite song is Bad Romance. You're old enough to get it.





Music Monday at Soccer Mom in Denial

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, to be so grown up as a fifth grader....
I do remember those moments of feeling confident I was "old enough" to handle something. What happens to that as you middle-age? Now, I just wanna be told to go lie down and take a nap.

Unknown said...

You know, I remembered coming across that original Gaga post a while back, and when I saw this I thought of you. Turns out, before she was famous, Lady Gaga recorded tracks for a children's audiobook: http://theportalinthepark.com. Curious what your thoughts are on that.

soccer mom in denial said...

Thanks for leaving a note on my rather inactive space - Christy - and you gave me a big laugh.

I'll have to check it out....