Sunday, September 05, 2010

Dedham Rocks guest - Meeting the new teacher

"I'm a guest, I'm a guest/ Dedham Rocks is just the best".

Apologies to Beauty and the Beast. I wrote the following post below for Dedham Rocks, a wonderful blog which celebrates the town where I live.

Meeting the new teacher

Oakdale Elementary School has a lovely tradition on the last day. Each classroom is broken up into groups, in the hallway those subgroups merge with other subgroups of similar grade students and they march into the classrooms of their new teachers. This is both how they find out who their teacher is and who their classmates will be for the new school year.

One of my then 3rd graders got into line and marched into his new 4th grade teacher’s classroom. He was warmly welcomed by her and handed the all important list of school supplies needed. The list my children seem to obsess about all summer long.

My other then 3rd grader was in his line and marched right into a classroom with the principal standing before them. She told the class their teacher would be hired over the summer and they would have a chance to meet this person before the new school year began.

So he spent a good part of the summer, whenever asked who his 4th grade teacher was, saying “TBD”. To Be Determined. Then in August the letter arrived from the principal announcing the new teacher and the September date for the meet and greet.

Several days ago, my son and I both eagerly stepped into the grand school building with the stone arches and beautiful wood hallways to climb the stairs to the 4th grade classroom.

We were the first ones to enter the bright, clean room with desks arranged in groups. The teacher walked over to my son and extended his hand. “Hi, I’m Mr. Paris. What’s your name?”

The other students filed in with their parents with warm greetings for those they hadn’t seen since June. Adults commented on how much the students had grown while the students tried to take more candy from the bowl sitting on one of the desks.

As we left the building I asked my son how he thought the year will be. “Great!” he declared.

“Because he has a candy bowl.”

9 comments:

Dresspiration said...

Hi Soccer Mom in Denial!

Do any of your kids play sports? I am writing a press release about mothers who are involved in their childrens' sports lives and I would love the chance to hear about your thoughts and possibly your struggles on the matter. If you wouldn't mind sharing your thoughts, email me at azapata@northstar-m.com to continue this conversation.
Thank you so much in advance.

Andrea

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
les lunettes de soleil lady said...

Patrick Kane Jersey

Unknown said...

He was warmly welcomed by her and handed the all important list of school supplies needed.
dissertation sample literature review

Unknown said...

I am incredibly post for this side. It’s a good subject.
dissertation ideas for writing

Anonymous said...

Hello Alison! It's me, Joan Clifford. Are you on FB these days? After a long break and then dipping my toes in slowly I thought I'd send you a friend request ... following is a link to a "blog" that I poured a bunch of my art and writing into then dropped. Maybe you'll look at it and if you don't care for my voice just scroll down to the next entry because my style is eclectic. In any event, my mother and your Dad crossed paths and my mother mentioned us being FB friends and your father very stoically said: "Ah, yes. Joan Clifford." I thought that was drily funny but my mother thought it was a compliment; she's of the "just spell my name correctly" school of popularity. So if you choose my blog can be found at http://soybombstudio.blogspot.com/?zx=349290ea5da2530c
I hope you and your family are happy and healthy, and if you're on FB then you're doing a great job hiding from me! Kidding! Bye, Joan

Sophie Grace said...

Nice blog! i am happy to see your blog.I am impressed to view your work. your blog is good and informative for me. thanks for sharing the wonderful post. net worth list