Monday, April 23, 2018

Happy Birthday, Happiness

April 23, 2018

Dear Darling Daughter,

You are 14 years old today.  Some days it seems you are in your 20's, talking rationally about plans, interpersonal relationships and current events - so much so it makes me do a double take.  Then there are other days when you are an emotional, blubbering teenager and I think "where did THAT come from?!?" because I forget you are an emotional, blubbering teenager.

Yet you always bounce back from the blubbering.  Rarely do you let things fester and you move beyond the hurt or stumbling.  I try to be more like you because even though you are 35 years younger than I, you have a wise and sturdy soul.  It is not something a person can acquire but something a person is born with.

The Kahil Gibran poem On Children describes you and your effect on me:

"You may strive to be like them,                                                                                             but seek not to make them like you.                                                                                 For life goes not backwards nor tarries with yesterday." 
 You are solidly a teenager now.  You are finishing 8th grade and entering high school.  You are gearing up for a new challenge and are excited for all that it will bring.

I am excited too.  Because you are going to do great.  And I am going to keep learning from you.

Happy Birthday.

I love you,
Mom





No comments: