Thursday, November 09, 2006

For Good

There is a song in the musical Wicked called For Good. It is sung by Glinda and the "Wicked Witch". In case you've lived under a pop-culture hole or don't embrace your inner fag hag (or fag), Wicked the musical is based on Wicked the book - a wonderful story about Oz before Dorothy. I bet you didn't know that Glinda and the Witch were college roommates and one of their professors was a talking goat (I think) who is murdered. Not sure how that all plays out on stage but the book was fun.

I have now sung For Good four times and will be singing it with a chorus this weekend in a musical revue. One of my sons is also in the production which involves songs from the last ten years of musicals done at our church and songs from productions that are being considered for the future. He's part of a group of children singing Inchworm from Radio Days and Do-Re-Me.

The first time we sang For Good it was near the end of a rehearsal and my little guy was lying on the floor, under the folding chair, clearly at the end of his rope. I looked down at him as I sang

Because I knew you
I've been changed for the better

and I haven't been able to sing this song without tearing up and cracking my voice. So wish me luck this weekend. If only he understood how a sappy Broadway show tune can turn me into a puddle of grateful emotions. My life is so much better with him, his brother and their sister.

Who can say if I've been changed for the better,
I do believe I have been changed for the better
Because I knew you
I have been changed
For good.

4 comments:

Ambassador said...

"I've heard it said, that people come into our lives for a reason..."

How could you and have known when we signed up to volunteer at the AIDS Quilt that we'd be the friends we are today? I hear this song in my head often, and just as often I think of you.

Also, it has taken on all new meanings this year for Mark and me as we continue tearing down the old walls and finding new ways of being together. And even big boys cry over this song...your Ambassador

soccer mom in denial said...

Thanks friend.

Anonymous said...

Thanks to an Ambassador link, I got to sneak into your archives for this one. What a great post and how meaningful on so many levels.
This was the first song on a friendship mix CD I received from best friend in PHX before making the trek across the ocean. Ah, me. I tear up everytime I think of it for my own reasons and now I will have your precious image of you singing to your kids to add to the waterworks.

Unknown said...

i actually havent seen Wicked but: sniff sniff.