Monday, October 29, 2007

Have you heard Annie yet?

Earlier this month I wanted to download Annie Lennox's new album, Songs of Mass Destruction, as soon as it was available on a certain website that starts with a lowercase "i". However, my little men demanded I buy an actual CD (how 1990's of them) so they could "look at the cover". I promised I would print off the cover from the download. I was informed that wasn't good enough.

So I was caught cutting out of a meeting near City Hall a bit early to run into a music store before another meeting at the State House. I confessed to the fellow I knew (who had also cut out of the same meeting) my dilemma and he immediately understood, even offered sympathy.

Hours later and after the train ride to the car, I finally got to tear open the plastic covering the case (again, how 1990's) and popped it into the van stereo. What surrounded me was delicious, sultry and pained. Bizarrely catchy and angst-ridden. Full of meaning and fun. Oh Annie, I've missed you.

As I picked the boys up at after school care I told them what was waiting for them in the car. "She's in the CD player." Their eyes were wide. They ran to the van.

They demanded to see the case. There was a moment of silence.

"Isn't she beautiful?" One says with breathless reverence.

Yes son, she is.



12 comments:

Goofball said...

oooh I can't listen to the video you posted here at work, but you sure made me curious at her latest CD...I am also still such an 80ies girl.


And congratulations for the Red Sox! I just read this: http://www2.vrtnieuws.net/cm/sporza.be/ander%2Bnieuws/071029_worldseries_verslag

http://www.standaard.be/Artikel/Detail.aspx?artikelId=DMF29102007_004

Anonymous said...

Ooooo Annie has a cd out? I am so out of the loop!

My daughter likes the visual of the packaging as well.

Unknown said...

I love her new album. (of course)

Gunfighter said...

Awwwww.

(Oh, and I totally went and got a Shelfari widget!)

Jenn in Holland said...

Oh man, last week while in Berlin we ate at the Hard Rock cafe, and just who's video was playing as we sat down to order? Yup, Annie. Beautiful, delicious Annie.
mmmmmm. I love that your boys know how lovely she is... in every way.

Jenn in Holland said...

incomparable.

indeed.

Fourier Analyst said...

I'm so outta touch with current culture that I did not know she had a new album. Thanks for the heads up! I can put it on my Christmas list!!

And I agree with the boys, there is just something kinda special about owning your own CD with cover art, etc. (I still have vinyls that are lovingly stored away and that I had a special pair of cotton gloves to use when handling! Dating myself again, I know...)

Cynthia said...

Annie is the best...I am so impressed your kiddos listen to her...way to go Mom!!!

painted maypole said...

love those kids of yours.

and you.

Yesterday MQ was admiring my shark postcard on the fridge. When I told her some had had mailed it to me she said "because she knew you liked sharks?" Yup. ;)

jodifur said...

Not related to this post but Go SOX!

Anonymous said...

must.get.album. I now have a goal for this week! love, love Annie - you trained you little men up good!

Jen said...

She is so incredible - on almost every level I can imagine. But I'm going to DL it. Thanks for reminding me. BTW... BNL has something new out soon! (This week?) I'm getting behind on my listening.