Friday, November 23, 2007

New kajamas

My daughter is an interesting girl. She is so girly in how she carries herself, talks to people and in the things she loves. Hand her a pink teapot to play kitchen or a microphone for her to perform with and she is happy as a clam.

But she hates new clothes. Hates to have to switch away from her summer clothes to her winter ones. She's got the nasty cough to prove she is not dressing warmly for the 40 degree days.

So on Saturday evening, while the big and little boys were off at a professional fight hockey game, I broke down and did something I never thought I would do.

I talked up shopping with my 3 1/2 year old daughter.

"We're going shopping for new clothes!" I said excitedly while keeping the rising vomit in my throat. I really hate to go shopping.

"We're going to get you new pajamas so you won't be cold at night."

"But I don't want new 'kajamas'!" she protested.

We had a lovely dinner, got ready for shopping, and charged into the store. She became all excited about a pair of pajamas pants with dogs all over them.

We brought them home, washed them and she put them on.

In the morning she asked to wear them to church. I told her she could put them on in the evening for bed time.

During an early afternoon hike after church she asked if she would be taking a nap when we got home. "I'm so tired" she yawned with much arm-stretching and dramatic eye rubbing. When we got home she went straight to her room, changed into her new pajamas and took a great nap.

For thanksgiving dinner she conveniently changed out of her clothes to show the "kajamas" to her grandparents. When she declared that she would be wearing them for the meal itself we all gave in. So here we were, in our slightly dressy clothes and she was wearing her pink thermal pajamas.

I think she likes these new "kajamas". Think I'll have as much luck with the new turtlenecks?

15 comments:

Gunfighter said...

Fat chance on the Turtlenecks, pal.

Heather said...

Maybe next year she'll be like my daughter, who loves any and ALL new clothes. (Even turtlenecks)

Good for you letting her wear them to dinner.

Flower Child said...

Awesome! Maybe if the turtlenecks have little dogs on them?

Cynthia said...

First off, I am completely on your page about shopping...kudos to you. I am trying to keep my kiddos away from it. Second, my daughter insisted on wearing her pirate costume for Thanksgiving dinner. We all have to give sometimes;) Which is better, pirate costume, or kajamas at dinner? It's a tossup!

Goofball said...

the payama's are definately a hit...but turtlenecks? Maybe.

Jen said...

If they're pink and have doggies on them...

Elizabeth Coplan said...

I used to buy clothes for my son, wash them, and then put them in his drawers where he would "find" them. As long as we didn't talk about the clothes or go shopping in the first place, he was cool with what he found in the drawer.
Your daughter's story is so sweet!
Elizabeth at A Wild Ride

Alex Elliot said...

I can't get my older son to wear long sleeve shirts or any pajamas.

soccer mom in denial said...

Alex - one of my sons goes without a shirt or covers, another son burrows into at least 3 covers and my daughter is like the first one.

And I am like the second one. You should see us battling it out when we are all in bed together.

painted maypole said...

oh, the things we do. they work, though, sometimes.

good luck with the turtlenecks.

Jan said...

Oh what a delightful story. hey ! I would like some kajamas with doggies on them.... cool !!

Jan

CableGirl said...

Oh how cute is she!!! Not that I blame her. I prefer to hangout in my KJs too. ;)

Jenn in Holland said...

I am with Paige and your baby girl here: KJ's ALL THE WAY, KJ's ALL THE DAY.
This is my new motto.

Jami said...

Wait ... you're NOT supposed to wear PJs all weekend? Uh-Oh.

Anonymous said...

I have a 2 and a half year old and I think that is adorable how she says, "kajamas"! My daughter calls them, "pajammies". :)