Monday, January 07, 2008

Cover bands

Music Monday at Soccer Mom in Denial

So now that we've established that Amazing Guy and I spent our couple's get-away in Las Vegas, Nevada, I should tell you what we did. I didn't gamble. Not once. Amazing Guy did place a bet on a horse named Ms. Wonder Woman because I like the name but I want to emphasize that I did not place a bet nor asked him too. She also lost horribly. Only confirming why I don't bet.

We did see three cover bands in one night.

First was an Earth Wind and Fire tribute band which played covers of other bands as well. Both AG and I love Earth Wind and Fire. Their tune September being one of the best songs ever. Lately our sons have been playing a greatest hits CD as they go to sleep so we've been hearing a lot of good '70's horns and funk in the evening.

This cover band, called Showtime, was terrific and we became friendly with the keyboardist, Marvin. He apparently played in Rebbie Jackson's band (she of the famed Jackson family) and ended up in Vegas for her 6 month stint at the Venetian Hotel. He stayed and plays on the same stage Rebbie did.

Next was an awesome cover band at the same roof-top lounge where Prince played this fall. The lead singer wore a t-shirt over his long-sleeve button down shirt with the Penguin books logo (if you don't have a book for Thursday's Day to Read yet check out their site. They publish The Kite Runner, Eat Pray Love and The Adventures of Dr. Doolittle). One of the first songs the band played was The English Beat's cover of Smokey Robinson's Tears of a Clown (are you getting that - they did a cover of a cover).

So I'm happily bopping recalling high school drama club dances in my lounge seat - which was really a glorified ottoman - when suddenly a woman in high heels, black pants and a shiny strap shirt runs ups to me from behind, grabs my arm and takes me on the dance floor. She got her groove on and I had a good time as well. This scene repeated itself several times, me happily bopping only to be grabbed by this woman. My beloved husband and our friends found this entire situation very funny but never found the need to rescue me.

Later when we left she asked where I was from. I asked her the same and she said "Salt Lake City". Which, to be honest, struck me as the last place a dancing fool in a Vegas lounge dripping with booze would be from.

Clearly my face showed my shock because she added "Salt Lake isn't as frumpy as people say it is."

Then the final band (you tired yet?) was Purple Reign. Yes, a band devoted to all things and songs by the little purple one. And they took their tribute very, very seriously. There was no improvising. Every song was a spot on rendition. Which was fun, and a bit creepy.

Kinda like Vegas.

So, singing a song today? The folks below are. Let me know if you are (you've got to mention Music Monday - and me with a link back - in your post) and I will link to you.

Wholly Burble (and go wish her HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!)

A2eatwrite (who wrote about one of my favorite bands songs a broken heart)

Jenn in Holland (who is introducing us to a new blogger)

Flower Child (who writes about remakes, which isn't the same as covers. Huh? Go read her post)

9 comments:

Flower Child said...

OMG! My entry this week is about remakes - it's like we're channeling each other.

Sounds like a great trip!

Unknown said...

Odd as it may sound, but September is Bryan and my "song!" We met in September, right around the 3rd week... but there are a bunch fo other funny "you had to be there" stories as to why it became our song. It's just the best, tho.

Jan said...

Sounds like you had a great time. I know i would have loved it. Sorry about the horse.... LOL I'm playing ! (((HUGS)))

Wholly Burble said...

Why was I NOT there to see you and your lounge lady buddy dancing? This I could have used a camcorder for had I been there! Too funny. Now you can't say you didn't have a good time in Vegas--you Be-bopping dancing fool ;-)

And thanks for sending the Happy Birthdays--I'm already having fun.

Sai Hijara - Ferraris said...

I'm doing Music Monday, btw. ;)

Jenn in Holland said...

I am so with WB up there! Why wasn't I there to see you dancing the night away with the wild woman from SLC? (wait a sec... isn't that MY identity?)
It sounds like it was an awesome good time, and yeah, I think you're not supposed to bet on horses and/or teams just cuz you like the name. But whatever.
Thanks for the link and the link love to Res too. You rock.
Let's Dance!

Madam Crunchypants said...

I think I want to join music monday next week. Are there any specific rules?

Jen said...

I love English Beat's Tears of a Clown! I should have posted that on Bloom's remakes MM. LOL! Well, it sounds like you had some fun...

Brillig said...

*GASP* You know ME, and you still thought Salt Lake City was backwards and FRUMPY??? Oh... wait... maybe you shouldn't answer that...

I'm glad you met your bronze unfrumpy dancing friend, to set the record straight about us Utahns.

:-D

Sounds like a blast, though I am sorry that Ms. Wonder Woman didn't win...