Wednesday, July 01, 2009

King Street - Charleston, SC



During our visit to Charleston, South Carolina, Ambassador and I stayed at the King's Courtyard Inn on King Street.



Quite simply, Ambassador could not have found a more charming and wonderfully located place to lay our heads at night. The staff were helpful, the room spacious and the wine and cheese at the end of the afternoon the perfect way to recharge after a hot day of photography and shopping.



And was there shopping. Window shopping in antique store windows.



The little boutique, Jayne, one of many along King Street, caught our attention because the sign in the window said "Yes, You CAN AFFORD to shop here!" And guess what? I could. I found the cutest summer jacket with ribbon and zipper detailing for a price that was insanely affordable.


I fell in love with this pharmacy sign. When we went in for various sundries, it became apparent we were in a Republican Party haven, complete with personal photos of various 2008 presidential candidates and the Republican Party chairman. The little old lady at the cash register even regaled us with anti-Clinton and Obama slogans. I still love the sign.


But the shop I loved was Lily. Not only for the wonderful items they sold (I literally shopped there three times while in Charleston) or the fact the shop was located in the first floor of our Inn. Or that it can be described as "swanky". I loved it for Kevin who co-owned the shop with his wife, Lin. He gave us tips including where to get drinks, suggested sites for photography and made us feel very special.



Because Charleston is a special place to be.

2 comments:

Ambassador said...

And a special place to hang out w/a super friend. I wish we were headed there this afternoon...I'll meet you are the Thoroughbred Lounge for a Mint Julep. Deal?

Jen said...

I've never been that interested in Charleston, but between you and the Ambassador, it seems like a place I'm dying to go to now.