Monday, August 03, 2009

The Depeche Mode Concert - I conjured up the rain

Long ago I wrote about how I went to the "new" outdoor venue (back in 1986) for a concert that was rained out. The venue had to cancel and reschedule the show when the first 26 rows flooded because the pumping system didn't work. I was thinking about that show a fair amount on Friday, hours before attending the Depeche Mode Sounds of the Universe concert.

Little did I know the power of my thoughts.

A bit after 5:00 pm the sky turned pitch black and the rain just poured down. It was so bad I scrapped wearing cool cowboy boots for wellies. Because it was that wet outside.

I met a high school friend and two of his friends and we drove down to the venue. We ate our "dinner" in the drizzle and during several other breaks dealt with significant rain drops.

But fortunately the rain didn't cause another flood or stop Depeche Mode. It was a terrific show.



Stripped from Depeche Mode's 1986 album (because that is how I first listened to it) Black Celebration. And kudos to the fan who recorded this. It is a fan video but a pretty good one in my opinion. And skip to after the second minute. This was one of the encores so there is lots of screaming at the beginning.

Music Monday at Soccer Mom in Denial


I'm on a roll with concerts. Seen any good ones lately?

Sorry for the lack of Linky Love options. Just put a link to your post in the comments and I'll make a nice little list.

4 comments:

Goofball said...

we went to see Madonna a few weeks ago and we were also welcomed by a downpour when arriving on site. Fortunately during her concert it remained dry

Brillig said...

I kinda think that seeing Depeche Mode in the rain would be the absolute PERFECT way to see Depeche Mode! (Of course, that's easy for me to say, as I sit here all dry and stuff at my laptop on my couch watching your vid. But... still... rain, drama, melancholy, Depeche Mode. It all sorta belongs together!)

Jen said...

I'd echo Brillig on that. And haven't seen any concerts other than the snips of freebies during the Ann Arbor Summer Festival last month.

Anonymous said...

I am playing! First music Monday at the new place!
And yes, you are a concert going fool! Good for you I say! Even with the rain...