Sunday, October 14, 2007

SOS - kids' version

Soap Opera Sunday. Go visit the soap factory at Brillig and Walking Kateastrophe's.

Now, grown-ups, or angst-ridden teens (or tweens) are not the only ones with sudsy tales.

Earlier this summer we were on vacation. The community where we stayed had a pool at the end of the street. At one point during the first week I was hanging in the pool with just my three year old daughter. She of the curly hair a la a Renaissance cherub and blue eyes that make strangers stop to breathlessly comment.

She and I were up against the side of the pool on a few steps. I noticed we were practically on top of a boy about 5 years old. I apologized then moved us over to the other side. In one minute young man was suddenly under us again. I then moved to a less shallow area where she could sit. Young man was once again right by her side. His eyes were the size of saucers and his mouth was open. When little lady smiled at him, he actually blushed. I don't know if I've ever seen a little kid blush.

She then promptly ignored him the rest of the time in the pool.

The following week brought a whole new set of kids to the "neighborhood" pool. Another evening had me alone with my two then 6 1/2 year old boys.

I noticed a girl, probably about 8 or 9, swimming around one of my guys. He was either oblivious or ignoring her. She swam away. Later she returned with another girl and the two of them would swim close to little man, giggle, then swim away. At one point the friend started singing -

Jessica and redhead (really, that's what she called my son)
sitting in a tree
k-i-s-s-i-n-g.
First comes love
then come marriage
then comes baby in a
baby carriage.

My first thought - WHAT?!?!?!?! He's SIX!

But then I saw his chest puff up. If a kid could strut while swimming, he was strutting.

He then promptly ignored her the rest of the time in the pool.

13 comments:

Kate said...

ohhh . . . seriously in a giggle fit over here . . . love it! :)

Kate said...

To put music on your blog, go to www.projectplaylist.org You can put together a playlist and generate the html code to put on your blog from there.

painted maypole said...

ahhhh... the careful dance of childhood infatuation

Brillig said...

HAHAHA! You're raising a brood of heart breakers, I see!!! Oh, the sudsy tales the next generation will be able to tell...

Fourier Analyst said...

Funny how early the game of "hard to get" starts! Great S.O.S.!

Nell said...

Hahaha! So cute! They get started so early these days...

Jen said...

LOL!!! Heartbreakers one and all. I remember "falling in love" my first time because the little boy sitting next to me had shorts that had the same material as my dress. We were seven.

This was hysterical, SMID.

Also, are you doing blog action day tomorrow? I'm trying to put my post together...

Madam Crunchypants said...

Aww! That's so cute!! I think you might have some trouble when your babies are teenagers though!!

Gunfighter said...

How well I remember it... her name was Lisa S. I was 8.

Dedee said...

So funny.

Luisa Perkins said...

Talk about parental horror! Hilarious.

Jenn in Holland said...

Yeah, but I am kind of in love with your redheads too (in spite of the fact that I only know the backs of thier sweet little red heads). If you tell him so, do you think he will strut some for me?

Goofball said...

early starters huh :)