Friday, September 08, 2006

Finally

And not the CeCe Peniston song.

So often older people talk about the days when kids would be sent out of the house with no more direction than "go play". We live on a state highway across from a gas station so there is no chance of sending the boys out there. But we're lucky enough to have a large enclosed backyard. The best I can get out of these two boys is 10-15 minutes of soccer before someone offends, hurts, upsets, etc the other.

Today, today, they played for over two hours outside. Uninterrupted. Needing no guidance or mediation from me. They even asked for their lunch out there. Now, a chunk of that time involved using the garden hose and causing a minor flood in the basement but I'm not complaining.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Found your blog from our forum on Working Mama/Tired Mama. That's nice the boys have each other to play with. My sons are over 4 years apart, and the youngest is only 8 months old, and everyone tells me they are NOT going to be friends. Not a lot of other kids in our neighborhood for my 4 year old to play with, so there's a lot of "Mommy will you play with me?" going on at our house. I'm still hoping they will be friends though.

soccer mom in denial said...

Hang in there. It is all in how you talk about it between them. I've actually said to both of them that one day daddy and I will be gone and they will only have each other (and their sister).

And while they may not be best buddies growing up (so get ready for more "mommy play with me") I've heard more adults say they are close with their siblings who are 5, 10 even 15 years older/younger.

Hang in there fellow tired mama, those two men will be terrific friends some day.