Monday, March 19, 2007

Channeling the inner Black Diva

During their preschool years one of my boys' best friends was the son of a minister. The family was from Holland and while pretty liberal, they took their role in the church very, very seriously.

One evening several years ago we had pizza at the friend's house. My boys, the friend, his mom and grandmother (who was visiting from Holland) all bowed our heads for grace. In our Unitarian house grace, if we remember to say it, is:

We love our family. Amen.

With this family they said a much longer grace in Dutch. The boys and I respectfully bowed our heads over clasped hands to wait it out. They ended with an enthusiastic, Dutch accented,

"Hallelujah!"

Which led one of my boys to throw his head back, close his eyes and with all the passion his three-year-old white body could muster

It's raining men. Hallelujah!
It's raining men.
Amen!

The mother (thankfully a dear friend) nearly fell hysterically into her plate as her mother kept asking "What? What did he say?"

I rubbed his head and told him he did a great job (he actually did. He would've made The Weather Girls proud). Then we passed around the pizza.

8 comments:

Alex Elliot said...

That is so funny! I'm trying to think what we say for grace in our Unitarian household...I think we may have to adopt your grace.

Ambassador said...

Ah, Grasshopper has learned well...

Now MY sides hurt from laughing! I can't think of a better way to start a very early day than a story like that--your kids are going to be more than just ok in this world.

Thanks for the giggles, love...your Ambassador

Anonymous said...

Allison, if you hear me laughing from my cubicle it's because I just read that. That is so funny!

soccer mom in denial said...

I can't tell the story (or type it out) without gaffawing myself.

Gunfighter said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

It isn't even 6 A.M. yet... thanks for giving me whay will likely be my biggest laugh for the day!

Anonymous said...

Oh, this is rich and just totally delightful!
Living among the Dutch I can just imagine the shock on the Oma's face when the translation was made. Too,too funny! Thanks for giving me the heads up to find this post. I will be giggling for hours now....

Unknown said...

that is awesome beyond compare.

AB said...

I snorted out loud at work, trying not to burst into loud uncontrollable laughter when reading this post. Luckily it is late in the day on Friday and not many people are still here. Your description was so complete I felt like I was there watching it unfold. Thanks for the great laugh! Especially after reading the post about the poor immigrants before it.