Friday, March 28, 2008

Busy week


My organization held its annual Lobby Day at the State House yesterday. Over 220 people came to the capital to talk with their legislators about the importance of funding affordable housing production and preservation and small business support. Our folks work in the heart of neighborhoods and communities that struggle with violence, poverty and the foreclosure crisis. They work with residents to make their neighborhoods better places to live and work.


The Governor spoke at our event. It is always thrilling to have the head of our Commonwealth present. He spoke of how we are all addressing the foreclosure crisis in our communities but we all - government, financial institutions and community groups - still can do more.


Some of the folks who came to the State House had never been there before. I attended one meeting with a Senator's aide and nearly 10 people who work in community economic development. A group member, a community organizer, stood along the wall when there were plenty of chairs in the room. I had to keep encouraging him to join us at the table. He finally sat down with us.

I needed to leave the meeting early and as I stood, I leaned over and whispered to him "Always sit at the table. You belong."



9 comments:

Luisa Perkins said...

Excellent acronym!

Goofball said...

I hope it was a really powerful day!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations , what a powerful achievment! I think its wonderful that you are a part of a female group of strong minded and united women trying to make a change. I fully support and admire that effort! It's my belief that women need to come together to change the business workforce and stand together!I actually work with Microsoft, and right now I’m really excited to spread the word about the “Vision to Venture” tour they’re having between April and May, which will consist of five live events. Susan Solovic, the best-selling author and CEO of SBTV.com, will be giving the keynote speech-“Girls Guide to Building a Million Dollar Business”-geared toward women entrepreneurs and small business developers. You can see more and register at http://smallbusiness.officelive.com/v2v/ so let me know what you think! And if you have any questions, I’d be more than happy to answer them 

Anonymous said...

You move me!

Flower Child said...

Sit at the table. That's awesome.

Jenn in Holland said...

You are an inspiration! What a great post.
I heart you, you know.

Jen said...

This is so important. We're having a big affordable housing initiative in A2 that keeps stalling. Maybe you can find a reason through work to travel here? ;-)

Seriously, though, there is nothing more important for our country right now, than this (and healthcare and JOBS and getting out of the war and restoring the environment... sigh)

See my second post (non-singular Saturday) today. You'll like it. It won't be up for a bit.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an amazing day - and I loved your parting comment.

painted maypole said...

it's so lovely to have someone tell you "you belong" :) nice job.