Friday, June 26, 2009

Remembering Neda Soltan

Today people are being asked to wear green and/or black to remember Neda Salehi Agha-Soltan, the Iranian woman whose death from a single bullet shot by government forces was captured on video seen world-wide. Her family has been forbidden to properly mourn her death.

This morning I explained to one son why I was wearing green. I showed him this week's New Yorker magazine. I asked him to read the by-lines of several articles. Then I showed him page 28. The Letter from Tehran is titled "With the Marchers" and the subtitle A resident reports from the streets and the rooftops.

"Do you see anything missing" I asked him.

"There is no name" he said quietly, rubbing his finger over the blank space where the author's name should be.

"That's why I'm wearing green" I told him.

To remember those who have died in Iran and support those who are protesting for their country who cannot say their names.

1 comment:

Jen said...

It also gives us more to think about in terms of what we DO have as we in North America get ready for the twin holidays of Canada Day July 1st and our own 4th of July.