This year the boys were lobbying hard for individual birthday parties. I was trying to stave off it off for one more year so I relented and allowed plan B. They invited every single kid from each of their first grade classes for a 4-inning game of baseball.
They had a batting order and a spreadsheet of where each kid would go on the field to make sure everyone played. The plans had to be revised since some families were either on vacation or had other plans.
But what was most touching was the thought by them that went into making sure the kids who are not very athletic would have a good time. One guy was particularly worried that a classmate who is known for not attending parties (his family can't afford presents) would not come. He bugged me every day after the invites were mailed if the friend had called. I finally called the family and asked if we could pick him up for the afternoon. We got him and his presence was the present.
And is our custom, every kid who joined us got a CD of the boys' favorite music from the last year. Every year I think it will be the last one we do. This year the boys themselves were plotting which songs to include on the CD, helping to compile them and eagerly handed them out as the party ended.
1. Tessie (Radio Version)- Dropkick Murphys
2. Get Up Off Our Knees - The Housemartins
3. Life Is a Highway - Rascal Flatts
4. The Lollipop Guild - The Wizard Of Oz
5. Born in the U.S.A. - Bruce Springsteen
6. Good Morning Baltimore - Hairspray
7. Walking In Memphis - Marc Cohn
8. Tennessee - Arrested Development
9. Seasons of Love - Rent
10. Rosealia - Better Than Ezra
11. True Colors - Cyndi Lauper
12. Chelsea Dagger - The Fratellis
13. Lake Michigan - Rogue Wave
14. The Battle Of New Orleans - Johnny Cash
15. I Got It (What You Need) - Galactic & Lyrics Born
16. Love Stinks - The J. Geils Band
17. I'm Shipping Up to Boston - Dropkick Murphys
And the parents seemed excited about the CDs - especially with the Dropkick Murphys on it.
All in all a great day. The first sunny day in a week, kids in a great mood, an afternoon on the ballfield and new loot to boot.
Singing anything new lately?