Monday, January 19, 2009

Did you notice the choir?

We're in Washington DC. "We" meaning me, all three kids and my dad. Amazing Guy wanted nothing to do with the crowds, cold and chance of mayhem. My dad and I can think of nothing more fun than to deal with all three for the chance to be a part of history. And we'll drag 3 little kids around with us to do just that.

We couldn't get into the Sunday concert on the Mall. After standing in line for an hour the "gate" we were entering suddenly shut down. We gave up and headed back to the apartment we are staying in.

We did watch the rebroadcast in the evening. Both my dad and I nearly fell out of our seats when "My Country 'Tis of Thee" got into full swing. It followed the recounting of American-born opera singer Marian Anderson being invited in 1939 to sing at the steps of the Lincoln Memorial after the Daughters of the American Revolution barred her from a concert because she was black.

The music started with Josh Grobin (what? they followed the story of a black woman singing on the steps with a white dude? huh?) then Heather Headley came out. The backdrop opened to reveal rows and rows of smartly dressed men all wearing the same red ribbon on their lapels. I looked at my dad, he looked at me and gave me a thumbs up over the kids' heads.



[Sorry for the lousy video. The best I could do.]

Music Monday at Soccer Mom in Denial



Any music inspired you lately? Please join in Music Monday. Just remember if you plan to use little Mr. Linky below, write a post about music and link back to me. Music always makes Monday a bit more fun.



Just no advertisements. I will delete them.

8 comments:

painted maypole said...

heather headley and I were friends in college. she's amazing.

I was at rehearsal and missed all this! thanks for posting.

Jen said...

I missed it, too. I'm heartbroken. It rocks that you're down there! Enjoy!

I have a great music Monday coming, but I'm not sure if it will be today or next week. It's not Obama-focused, and I have a different post that I want to put up for today.

Flower Child said...

We were there - albeit pretty far away. We loved the choir too - and not until we got home and watched it rebroadcast on tv did we notice the choir - AWESOME!

BTW, wonderful opening prayer by Gene Robinson.

Flower Child said...

and the Josh Groban thing was ridiculous - how about Denyce Graves? that would have been WAY more appropriate

Jenn in Holland said...

Pardon me while I writhe in envy that you are even in the neighborhood for events such as these!
Fabulous darling. Enjoy.

Heather said...

I, apparently, am an idiot. What am I supposed to be noticing? (keep in mind I get very little sleep at night!)

Kate said...

you are awesome that you are down there. so cool. tell obama i said hi and congratulations. :)

Goofball said...

wow this gives me chills down my spine....just been watching the news broadcasts here that show the Mall filling up with crowds in the morning. It's so great that you are there with your children. You are such a great mom. They will never forget this.

I'll be in front of the tv again in a couple of hours and I'll search for you on the screen ;)