Monday, January 26, 2009

Not a Funeral Dirge and a Free Song

When we were leaving a restaurant the evening of the Inauguration, a young African-American man saw my "Mr. President" button with Obama's portrait. He looked me in the eye and let out a rousing "Yes we can!"

To which I replied "Yes we DID!" He laughed, clapped several times and gave me a big thumbs up.

***


That is just one of the many times we celebrated with strangers - black and white, young and old, locals and visitors - during the Inauguration. A woman from Florida gave my kids a lecture on how to ride the subway, then admitted she had never ridden on one before. An older couple leading an even older gentleman followed my kids as they led all of us to where we can get on the bridge.

The video below captures the incredibly feeling of one - we were all one. One nation, one people. It is a group of folks with snare drums, trumpets and their voices performing the most rousing rendition of We Shall Overcome. One friend, after seeing the video, commented that this is how it should be sung. As an uplifting song, not "a funeral dirge".



***


Now for the FREE SONG!!

Go to Michael Franti & Spearhead to get this song. My kids and I can't stop singing it.



A celebration and a freebie! What more could you ask for on a Monday?

Music Monday at Soccer Mom in Denial



Any music inspired you lately? Please join in Music Monday. Just remember if you plan to use little Mr. Linky below, write a post about music and link back to me.



But if you plan on posting an advertisement, I will delete your link as well as your comment. Just don't bother.

1 comment:

Ambassador said...

Look at me...posting regularly, participating in scheduled events.

Who are you and what have you done with Ken?