Thursday, December 20, 2007

The Paper Bag Princess

DAY TO READ campaign - January 10, 2008


What will you be reading on
January 10, 2008?


Elizabeth was a beautiful princess.

She lived in a castle and had expensive princess clothes.

She was going to marry a prince named Ronald.

Unfortunately, a dragon smashed her castle, burned all her clothes with his fiery breath, and carried off Prince Ronald.

Elizabeth decided to chase the dragon and get Ronald back.

She looked everywhere for something to wear but the only thing she could find that was not burnt was a paper bag.

And so begins The Paper Bag Princess by Robert N. Munsch.

This is one of my favorite books to read to my kids. I discovered it when I was a schoolteacher in the early 1990's and think it would've been one of my favorites as a child if it had been published in the 1970's. While it has a princess, a prince and a mean dragon, the roles are switched and it is Princess Elizabeth who uses her smarts to outwit the dragon. Prince Ronald's response to it all is disappointing which leads to an ending that would make any feminist (or, if that word scares you, any person who cares that girls be strong and smart) proud.

My books as a young girl were by Richard Scary, P.D. Eastman, Beatrix Potter and Dr. Seuss. I loved Free to Be You and Me. Today I think I'm as excited as my kids to read Goodnight Gorilla, The Dot and any Olivia or Toot and Puddle book.

What books did you love to read as a young kid (before you were 7 years old)? Any chance you'll be reading it to someone on Day to Read on January 10, 2008?

I just love that people are repeatedly promoting Day to Read (that would be Jen, Jenn and Flower Child) and others are just talking about it without telling me. Both are o.k. I never meant for this to be a day to be about promoting SMID. It is about promoting reading.

Korie wrote a wonderful description of what it is like to have a book - a book you have fallen into - come to the last page. The Golden Compass was just such a book.

Now if you have been promoting Day to Read and you think I know and I haven't written about you, assume you need to tell me again. My brain is a sieve, we've got holiday happiness here in the house and I spent one night writing season's greetings to 200 state legislators instead of blogging. That seems to have set me back a month.

8 comments:

Flower Child said...

Ooooooh I LOVE children's books! I give them as baby gifts - I know that new parents need onesies and diaper genies but no one gives them those classics (which are quite expensive but oh so precious).

My favorites are Eloise (I give this to boys too), Make Way for Ducklings (especially for any Boston-area family), In the Night Kitchen, The Velveteen Rabbit, What Do People Do All Day, Where the Wild Things Are, Max In Love (didn't have this growing up), The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes (single mom raising all those kids), Blueberries for Sal... okay I could go on for days. Thanks for giving me the chance to rave about my favorite topic!

Can't wait till you post on the 8-12 year old category!

Wholly Burble said...

On Tuesday this week I posted an excerpt from PARADE Magazine from author James Patterson, as a letter to his nine-year-old son--all about his wish for his son to be a passionate reader. Anyone who is interested can click on over to my spot and read about it. It was a great expression from soneone who writes as well as reads--and what both have meant to him over his lifetime.

Keep her coming, I'm grateful to know of others who are posting about the January 10th reading day--I'm getting an introduction to so many marvelous works!

Jen said...

I LOVE that book!!! It's so wonderful. I'd totally forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder.

chelle said...

Paper Bag Princess is a HUGE hit here. My favorite part is the ending when she proclaims that the prince is a bum! hehe PD Eastman ... Go Dog Go was one of my faves as a little kid.


I have been not keeping up with it all but adore this "Day to Read".

jodifur said...

Well, Jen of

http://www.shelikespurple.com/shelikespurple/

Just randomnly sent me A girls guide to hunting and fishing b/c it was her favorite book and I've never read it. So, I'll be reading that.

Jan said...

I don't know what I'll be reading on Jan 10th but I will be reading. I read everyday. I have it on my blogspot too.

Jan

painted maypole said...

my mother just read this book to MQ today! :) and Free to Be is AWESOME/

I will be doing Day to Read. I plan to read Emma by Jane Austen. I've never read any Jane Austen before, and i think it's time

Goofball said...

I wrote a lot about my love for child books in the book meme "books books books" I did in October! Children's books can be fantastic.

Currently I am getting carried away reading the kite runner. I'll probably post about it when I'm done with it and that should be before Jan 10th...so have to find another book for Jan 10th, becuase I will be reading!