Tuesday, October 14, 2008

What do you think I am? A loaf of bread?

When I was a little girl, and my brother was an even little-er boy, we got a hold of my mom's hand held tape recorder, sat down with a purple book (Free to Be You and Me) and recorded our own version of "Boy meets Girl" - the touching story of a boy baby and a girl baby meeting for the first time in the hospital nursery. Some of my favorite lines include:

"Hi!" says deeper voice (sounding suspiciously like Mel Brooks).

"Hi!" says higher voice (sounding an awful lot like Marlo Thomas).

"I'm a baby!" says lower voice.

"Well what do you think I am?" asks the higher voice. "A loaf of bread?"

"You could be. What do I know? I was just born".

But the part that made my brother just giggle uncontrollably in the tape?

The higher voice asks "What do I look like?"

And the lower voice says "You're bald fella'. Bald. Bald. Bald. Bald as a ping-pong ball!"

See here for yourself.





And guess what? For those of you who live near Boston, there will be a Free To Be You and Me party from at the The Blue Bunny Bookshop in Dedham Square, MA on Saturday, October 18th from 1:00pm to 3:00pm. This is a book release party (the new book includes a music CD) and book signing to celebrate the 35th anniversary edition.

2 comments:

Alex Elliot said...

That is so cool! I loved Free To Be You and Me when I was younger as do my boys.

Heather said...

Baby D really enjoyed the video!