Tuesday, April 22, 2008

We're just beaming here

Amazing Guy finished the Boston Marathon. I'm still amazed that he did it. I'm also surprised that we pulled off seeing him twice on the course.

7:00am
Amazing Guy is picked up by a couple from our church. He was running the marathon for the 4th time and she had offered to drive them to the starting line.

9:30am
The kids and I go out to buy poster making materials. Last month, My dad and I had ordered bright red t-shirts with "Go Big Daddy Go" printed on the front which we will all wear along the course.



10:30am
Amazing Guy is scheduled to cross the starting line. We track his progress thanks to a computer chip on his sneaker that tells when he crosses certain points of the course.

12noon-ish
The boys and I are riveted watching two women runners on television sprint to the finish line. The winner won by 3 seconds.



12:30pm
We arrive at my friend's house who lives near the marathon course. By 1:10 we're walking up to the road where we hope to watch Amazing Guy. The spot is before mile 18.



1:30pm
Convinced we missed him, we get to the spot. We start scanning the runners, cheering people who have their names written on their arms or bib numbers. We frantically call family and friends who are near computers asking if Amazing Guy has gotten to the tracking spot past where we are standing.

The boys start sticking their hands out to slap hands with the runners. We are amazed at how many folks seek out their hands, tap their hats or just run by to look in their eyes. Later Amazing Guy tells us it meant the world to have strangers yell words of encouragement at him.



Around 2:00 pm
Amazing Guy is spotted and we can't stop screaming and jumping. He comes over for hugs, handshakes and lots of "I Love You".



And he is off and running for the remaining 6+ miles, including the dreaded Heartbreak Hill.




2:30pm
My dad drives me and the boys towards the finish line (blessedly, my mom takes the cranky ballet-wearing nearly 4 year old back to their house for a much needed nap - she wouldn't have survived this last part).

3:15pm
The boys and I manage to get ourselves one block from the finish line. Someone calls to let us know she saw him at mile 25.

3:30ish
I spot Amazing Guy and start screaming. He had no idea we would be there. He comes over and asks me to lift the boys over the barricades. They all run together to the finish line.



4:00ish
My dad and I have found each other and then manage to find Amazing Guy and the boys (who look a bit shell shocked after watching various runners vomit and end up in wheelchairs - Amazing Guy wasn't one of them).

4:30pm
We're at my parents' house and Amazing Guy is having a beer. And telling stories from the day. We're all marveling that he is upright and coherent.

6:20pm
We are back home to all eat pizza.

7:20pm
Amazing Guy goes to bed.

There is a group of you that not only gave us incredible support throughout Amazing Guy's training, but helped him exceed his goal of raising over $3,000 for the Metropolitan Boston Housing Partnership. Thank you for supporting him.

Jen of a2eatwrite
Ambassador
jodifur
Luisa & Patrick Perkins
June ( are you a blogger? - Thank you for your support!)
oktree (are you a blogger too? - Thanks for your support!)
Fourier Analyst
Jenn in Holland
Flower Child

All of you played a part in his success. If I missed you, I am really sorry and please let me know.

It was an amazing day. Which we would expect from Amazing Guy.

15 comments:

jodifur said...

Congrats to your hubby! And I love that he crossed the finish line with your sons.

Go AG!!!!!

Heather said...

That is so awesome. I got all teary about the boys crossing the finish line with him.

Flower Child said...

Yay! I was following online the whole time - so exciting!

Korie said...

That's so exciting! He sounds like a wonderful hubby and humanitarian! Congratulations to him for doing something so fantastic!

Jenn in Holland said...

Oh, man, I got tears in my eyes over the view of those three boys running toward the finish line together. What a team!!
SOOOOOOOOOO proud of that Amazing Guy!!

Gunfighter said...

Big congrats, AG!

I admire anyone with the courage to do what you did.

GF

June said...

Congratulations to Amazing Guy! Yes, I'm a blogger...Spatter. I'm who submitted the hippo photo and who enjoys your photos on a daily basis. You're very welcome!

Jami said...

I'm with Jenn. I got all kinds of snuffly when I read that part and saw the picture!

Maximum congratulations to Amazing Guy and to his amazingly supportive family!

Jen said...

I'm sitting here with tears streaming down my face. How cool that he crossed the finish line with the boys. I'm just so impressed with AG. What a great family you have!

I was checking his times online as I could. He was darned close to goals, too! YAY, AG!!!!

Anonymous said...

Amazing Guy really is simply amazing!

Goofball said...

wow, finishing a marathon is amazing! But after all, he is an Amazing Guy :). congratulations to him

Wholly Burble said...

Oh that will teach me to be away from the blogosphere for so long--I didn't know anything about it. How wonderful that he took this on--and made it! And how great that your sons got to cross the line with him--that made it just that much more to celebrate.

Yup, he's amazing.

Alex Elliot said...

What an amazing accomplishment!

Brillig said...

Oh, that is so so so so cool. My hubby's dying to run the Boston Marathon. And I love the fantastic twist AG spun on it. It wasn't just a marathon... He's so cool. I guess he MIGHT be good enough for you... :-D

painted maypole said...

Hooray!!!!!