Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Kissing Asses

One of the songs given to my family last month is the Dixie Chicks' Taking the Long Way Around. My friend told me that we "were one of the families who wouldn't care that they say 'ass'" in the song. Apparently he and his wife were concerned about some of their family and more conservative friends.

They didn't realize my kids get sent to their room for saying butt instead of bottom when referring to the part of the body that is sat on. Ass would just send me over the deep end. I get laughed at about this but I feel like allowing butt is a slippery slope to butthead. And the idea of hearing a six year old yell "Mom he called me BUTTHEAD!!" over and over is enough to send me into the bottle of gin.

So my boys are singing perfectly in harmony to the following lyric:

I drank with the Irish
Smoked with the hippies
Moved with the shakers
Wouldn't kiss all the asses that they told me to

And not once they have asked about asses or what it means to kiss an ass.

But one day my daughter, clear as a bell said, after singing that lyric:

"She kisses asses."

To which I replied:

"Actually, no, what they are saying is she DOESN'T kiss assess"

"Oh"

And that was that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In our house "jerk" led to "jerk off" which led to my mom telling us not to say it.

And me constantly asking "Why mom, why can't I say jerk off? What's a jerk off? What's jerk off mean?"

soccer mom in denial said...

Oh I would go straight for the bourbon if that were to happen!! Don't go giving my kids any ideas lady.

AB said...

Yet again you show that you are a Mom after my own heart. Such a perfect balance of allowance without being overprotective, over reactive, and yet still caring and worrying about what the long tern repercussions of exposure to inappropriate (albeit borderline) language. We all worry "am I condoning and/or encouraging this word to be used? Or am I making too big a deal out of it?" I think you handled it perfectly! Thanks for sharing the story! I am sure I will be in a similar situation at some point and your story will surely pop into my head. I suppose before long I will be thinking to myself "WWAD?" (Only halfway kidding there.)