Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Birthday Greetings

Thank you for such a warm welcome to my 40's. I am actually pretty psyched to be 40 years old. I get a bit of glee when I tell people my age and I usually get a "really? I didn't think you were, errr, that old."

I'm not saying I look 23. But I don't look 40. So it probably makes turning 40 a bit less painful.

I got many greetings, phone calls, even a dedicated blog post - complete with my favorite electronic card characters, Hoops and Yoyo - in honor of my birthday.

But my favorite of all arrived in an envelop from a dear friend. A friend who isn't married, doesn't have kids and lives a pure adult life in a cool apartment in the city (note a bit of envy in these typed words). A friend who would have every right to ignore me during the kid-crazed years but instead celebrates the nuttiness that is my life.

In the front the card says:

Look at you living the minivan dream

Inside it says:

Happy Birthday to a Suburban Goddess

And she wrote a kind, thoughtful note that made me weep in front of the kids. Because my friends do that to me.

Thank you to all of you who wrote kinds things on my birthday. Those I've known for decades and those I have never met in person. My life is richer for knowing all of you.

7 comments:

Ambassador said...

A -

Speaking of being 23, I happen to have a great photo of the 2 of us when we were 23 - at a certain play festival...we both had a lot more hair!

Oh, I read yesterday! No laptop, no email last night - I started reading Sarah Vowell's The Wordy Shipmates. Fun stuff!

Hugs! K

soccer mom in denial said...

Oh, I know that photo! I don't look like THAT 23 year old!!

cathouse teri said...

Well happy late birthday, babe! I loved turning forty and I'm looking forward to fifty! :)

Flower Child said...

perhaps we can celebrate in a more adult manner (whatever that means) in January. congrats!

monstergirlee said...

Happy belated birthday! 40 isn't so bad.
Glad you had a great day - and I love the girls photos - very edgy, very hip.

Goofball said...

Hurray for good friends and their touching birthday wishes :). I hope you have a brilliant 40th year!

Jenn in Holland said...

The 40's rock, babe. Trust me!