Thursday, December 04, 2008

Day to Read 2009

SMID's Day to Read 2009


January 8, 2009.

Please mark your calendar.

Because, again, I'm asking you a favor.

A year ago I asked folks to take the time they would blog and read something on paper instead. A book, a magazine, a pamphlet, the newspaper. Anything printed.

Why did I do this last year?

Because according to a report released last year reading books is linked to civic engagement. This National Endowment for the Arts reports that young folks aren't reading like they used to. Get this:
  • only 30% of 13-year-olds read almost every day

  • the number of 17-year-olds who never read for pleasure increased from 9 percent in 1984 to 19 percent in 2004 - that is 1 in 5 kids don't read for fun

  • Almost half of Americans between ages 18 and 24 never read books for pleasure

  • The average person between ages 15 and 24 spends 2 to 2 1/2 hours a day watching TV and 7 minutes reading

According to Diane Gioia, the Chair of the NEA,

"The poorest Americans who read did twice as much volunteering and charity work as the richest who did not read. The habit of regular reading awakens something inside a person that makes him or her take their own life more seriously and at the same time develops the sense that other people's lives are real."

A year later, that quote still gives me chills. It shows that reading can transcend poverty, help people think beyond themselves.

That is why I'm asking folks, myself included, to take time one day in January to stop blogging - for the entire day or part of the day - and use the blogging time to read. Last year over 100 folks got in touch with me to say they were suspending blogging for the day to read.

So read a book. A magazine. A newspaper. Take the button and please paste it in a post as well as your sidebar (link back to http://denyingsoccermom.blogspot.com/2008/12/day-to-read-2009.html). Write about this. About what books, magazines, newspapers mean to you. Write a couple of posts about writings that have taken you to another place.

Then Thursday, January 8, 2009 turn off your computer and read. Then on Friday, January 9th, write a bit about what you read.

Thank you. Again.

19 comments:

Jami said...

I'm in, baby!

Jenn in Holland said...

Ready to launch! And totally looking forward to the day to cuddle up with a good book. Not that I need an excuse to do such a thing, but I will most definitely take it, knowing full well I will be in good company!

Patois42 said...

Count me in!

Goofball said...

oh cool! yes yes yes, I'm in again. Of course I am

Jen said...

Launching tomorrow - brain dead tonight. BTW... ;-) It's Dana Gioia - Mr. Gioia would probably be surprised at his new moniker. Just teasing you!

I actually use a book he developed in two of my classes this year - it's the best classic short story collection I've ever seen - The Art of the Short Story.

Kate said...

I'll do it!!! But only because you asked so nicely!!! x

monstergirlee said...

I love reading. I cannot imagine not reading. I read to my daughter every night before bed. Same with our son (tho hubby usually is the one), 30-45 minutes every night. I hope to pass along my love of reading to my kids. Hubby is a big reader too.

Anonymous said...

Read about it on Jen of A2eatwrite and I AM IN!

Sai Hijara - Ferraris said...

Count me in! Will do the post on Tuesday as I have scheduled some post for Sunday and Monday already...

CableGirl said...

Just pimped you out on my blog... not that anyone reads it anymore since I've been out of the loop for so long... but the thought was there.

BTW, you may want to check out the other link I talk about in that post. I think you'll like it.

ThrtnWmsFam said...

Hope you don't mind but I pre-posted a link to this entry for our main blog (www.thorntonwilliamsfamily.blogspot.com) to show up on January 7 2009. Let's hope people don't turn on their computer on January 8! Vikki

Goofball said...

Finally my first "day to read 2009" post is up.

Anneke said...

Jeej! I'm in too!

monstergirlee said...

I'm in - check it out:
http://monstergirlee.blogspot.com/2009/01/day-to-read-january-8-2009.html

Kat said...

Great idea. I'm in, I am a huge book lover. Got here from Ree's (The Hotfessional) tweet, by the way.

Kat said...

Oh, and I posted a link to you on my blog.

Anonymous said...

I'm in. Posting link now.

Brimful Curiosities said...

Link and post is up: http://www.brimfulcuriosities.com/2009/01/day-to-read-2009.html

Gunfighter said...

I'm there. I'm in!