Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Urban Nutcracker

This weekend we took the kids to see the 10th annual Urban Nutcracker. Created by former Boston Ballet dancer Tony Williams, it was a joyous celebration combining Tchaikovsky's original music with Duke Ellington's interpretation of the holiday classic. There was hip-hop, doo-wop singing, ballet, tap dancing, Irish step-dancing and dancing atop giant bounce balls with handles.




It was such fun. Which is an understatement. It was glorious. To see all these children and adults dancing and singing was happiness - and skill, endurance, grace and gumption - personified.

Little lady insisted we all dress up for the performance. She was asking that her brothers wear tuxedos. I explained they didn't have any. She settled for khakis and nice sweaters.

Music Monday at Soccer Mom in Denial


Please join in Music Monday. Just remember if you plan to use little Mr. Linky below then write a post about music and link back to me. Music always makes Monday a little bit easier.


But if you plan on posting an advertisement, I will delete your link and your comment. Just don't bother.

4 comments:

Jen said...

I am so jealous! I've heard about this production and it sounds simply wonderful.

soccer mom in denial said...

Jen - you should be. This isn't the JP you knew and loved (or tolerated?) - this is the city embracing and celebrating all residents. And hearing/watching tap to Tchaikovsky's "Mother Ginger" was so exciting.

Flower Child said...

I'm jealous too! I love the Nutcracker and would have loved to have seen another version of it.

Jenn in Holland said...

Fantastic! Can you sign me up to come next year? I promise to wear a tuxedo.