Monday, October 16, 2006

Training America's Future Liberals

If you drive by my dirty, smelly van, complete with a mesh bag full of soccer balls, you would hear my kids loudly singing the following:

Now I don't want your Rolls-Royce mister
I don't want your pleasure yacht
All I want is just food for my babies
Give to me my old job back

We worked to build this country mister
While you enjoyed a life of ease
You've stolen all we built mister
Now our children starve and freeze

Now I don't want your millions mister
I don't want your diamond ring
All I want is the right to live mister
Give me back my job again.

I haven't been asked who they are signing to, or who mister is. When it does happen, I will explain Halliburton. And that this song was written in the 1930's. But it sounds tragically right today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note to thank you for commenting on my blog. I love your blog as well. Trying to figure out where in the country you are (St. Louis?)... I find it amazing to find other women in similar situations and yet so far apart. Here are the things we appear to have in common: liberal, unitarian, mama , photography, work for non-profits, I REALLY want to go to Italy, A Room With A View!!! and Emma Thompson, Peter Gabriel and all that other great 80's music, and if you are from St. Louis (well then we've got something else in common too)... comment again and I could explain! Happy mamahood to you.

Anonymous said...

I'm happy that your kids are being exposted to more music than what plays on the radio.

It's a sad existence for all of those people who only listen to the top 100.

Kate said...

Oy vey! Don't me started on Halliburton....