Sunday, July 15, 2007

Crossing the line

I read about them with envy. People meet, talk, laugh and comment how wonderful it was.

Actually seeing someone from the blogosphere live and in person.

Now Ambassador and Jenn don't count. I knew them before I started to blog (in the Ambassador's case before email became a regular part of people's lives. Yes youngsters, a really, really, really long time ago).

But I was a bit paralyzed with "what if". What if the person turned out to be someone that I didn't like? What if they weren't who they seemed (to me) on their blog? And then there are always those ax-murderer, identity-stealing, thug-like fears.

So meeting Alex Elliot of Formula Fed and Flexible Parenting was great for several reasons. She didn't want my credit card information and wasn't a jerk.

Now dear readers who have yet to meet her, she is wonderful. Funny, bright and truly one of the kindest parents. Period. I also got to meet OS and YS and according to her OS wasn't in his best mood. Now, if that wasn't sterling behavior, that kid must glow when he is behaving. He was great and YS just lapped it up when my daughter rubbed his head. Which is good because she did it often.

Those of you going to Blogher at the end of the month, go find Alex E. She'll be there. And I'll be a little less envious since I've already met her. Plus we've already mentioned the next place to meet up.

But this one won't allow food inside.

9 comments:

Jenn in Holland said...

Yay! Alex isn't an axe murderer!!
What a blast for you, and as I told her over at her blog, I am just the tiniest bit green with envy. A great "meet" for both of you. Two of my ab fave new friends!

jodifur said...

I said this on Alex's site, but I am so jealous! 2 of my favorite bloggers and email pals meet! Come to DC, please!

Unknown said...

I haven't met anyone from blogging world, but I have met many people from mom's message boards. It's scary at first, but truly - some of them are now among my best friends!!! Glad you had a good experience.

Alex Elliot said...

Thank you for so kind a post. I want to say "It takes one to know one," but I feel like I should say "It takes one to imagine one." I felt like you displayed all of the qualities that you attribute to me, while I was completely distracted (and therefore questionably coherent) by OS who wasn't being very social with anyone or anything except my shirt and his ribbons. Either way, I had a great time meeting you, and you more than lived up to the identity I had already learned to respect online. I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Real Life Drama Queen said...

What an exciting day. I have met several of my online friends. And was so pleased to see they were exactly how I thought they would be. Laughed and talked so much with one of them, I lost my voice. And I would do it again!

CableGirl said...

Meeting OL people IRL with whom you have become close is such a great feeling. I'm glad you got the experience.

And thanks for the link to her blog. I'm planning on checking it out tomorrow. :)

Gunfighter said...

Good for you, SMID!

I have met several of my blog-buddies, and it has been a great experience.

Anonymous said...

Yay!

It's odd, I am not sure if I have ever met a blogger that I only knew from blogging.

I don't think I have.

ZoeyBella said...

The best thing about being a writer who blogs, is getting to meet my readers in person. I've done public speaking events and Q&A where I get to come face to face with people who have read my stuff - and actually like it!

Meeting bloggers is great networking and anyone who has the chance to meet and greet should do it! :)