Thursday, July 19, 2007

Wandering weekend

We went away last weekend to another state. We visited one of the smallest beaches in that state.

Little lady sang on the beach.

The men "experimented" with a piece of drift wood.


At a wonderful museum about shipping, boats and the sea, they watched a play about whaling ships. We learned in the 18th century some sailors were as young as 7 years old.

Hmmm.... that's how old a set of twins will be next month.

From a little shuttle boat we could see beautiful ships.

Oh, and we even sidled up to the bar of the local pizza shop for a pepperoni pie. (And when the food arrived, the boys' caps came off. I assure you.)

We did go in a rowboat. The big, strong rugby player took on the task of rowing a boat with the four of us. Of course, I'm not sure what made us think taking two tornadoes, errr boys, in a row boat with a 3-year-old was a good idea. She was perfect and sat motionless the entire time. I'm still amazed one of the lads didn't go overboard.

But just like we had to do on the (two) horse open sleigh in January, we sang "Row Row Row Your Boat" causing the sailors on one boat to exclaim:

"You are the happiest boat on the river."

And in spite of our anxiety about ending up in the river, we were indeed the happiest boat on the river.

12 comments:

CableGirl said...

Sounds like you had a great time!

heh.. I love the mental image of you singing Row row row your boat on a horse drawn sleigh.

soccer mom in denial said...

Actually, we sang "Jingle Bells" because, well we were on a horse drawn open sleigh.

I guess you are pointing out that the sentence didn't make sense. What I was trying to say was you sing Jingle Bells in a sleigh and Row Row in a row boat.

Oh well.

Unknown said...

This in no way responds to your post... AND THE STYLE COUNCIL TOO.

Go look at my blogger profile.

Anonymous said...

SMID and I learned that we must decide on where to take the children to lunch BEFORE lunch. Otherwise, the children smell opportunity and lobby for Mickie D's. No, we did not go there.

Anyway, speaking of Style Council (Greeble), here's one for SMID:



I could be discontent and chase the rainbows end
I might win much more but lose all that is mine
I could be a lot but I know I'm not
I'm content just with the riches that you bring
I might shoot to win and commit the sin
Of wanting more than I've already got
I could runaway but I'd rather stay
In the warmth of your smile lighting up my day
(the one that makes me say, heh)

'Cause you're the best thing that ever happened to me or my world
You're the best thing that ever happened - so don't go away

I might be a king and steal my peoples things
But I don't go for that power crazy way
All that I could rule but I don't check for fools
All that I need is to be left to live my way
(say listen what I say)

I could chase around for nothing to be found
But why look for something that is never there
I may get it wrong sometimes but I'll come back in style
For I realise your love means more than anything


YOU ARE THE BEST THING THAT EVER HAPPENED!

-Mr. SMID

Real Life Drama Queen said...

Sounds like so much fun. Happy to see you had such a great day!

Fourier Analyst said...

Oooo-oooo!! A love note from Mr. SMID (at least I hope it's really him!) How romantic! But what does it say about how much you are blogging if has to communicate with you this way? Get of the computer and go smooch that man!

Anyway, what I was going to comment... We are also famous for acting out and singing songs. And for making up our own variations (My Mimi lives over the ocean...).
And we also get funny looks, but yes we are sometimes the happiest family around!

Jen said...

It sounds like lovely wandering! And I'm glad you were all the happiest boat on the river.

And what a lovely message from Mr. SMID!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Looks like a wonderful weekend!

Jenn in Holland said...

Oh, such lovely memories you make. What a terrific outing, and that no one ended up in the river seems like a great bonus!

As to MR. SMID's WONDERFUL comment, I just had to respond with a hearty hear! hear! Both for the avoidance of McDonald's and for his praise of you! Just lovely.

Jami said...

Avoid Mickie D! Smooch Mr. SMID - a lot! Sounds like great advice to me, so I'm repeating it.

Oh, and I lived in Mystic for about 3 or 4 months a LOOOOONNG time ago ... but I don't think I ever went out and sang "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" on the water. (Of course, I might have since I was known to partake of alcohol from time to time then.)

Alex Elliot said...

It sounds like a wonderful time! I love the comment from your husband.

Anonymous said...

What a great trip! And of course you were the happiest boat on the river!

And how cool is it that your hubby is leaving sweetness in your comments!!??