Friday, May 23, 2008

How Teri can tie skirts and squirrels as well

Here I was thinking I was the only one who could write a piece about squirrels and skirts. Apparently not very well either since Jen in Michigan didn't understand that I was misunderstanding my daughter's request that I twirl in my skirt. I was hearing her say squirrel. Clearly an example of how my writing isn't all that great. Sorry Jen.

So who could also write a piece about skirts and squirrels? Teri of The Road Lester Traveled. This was her reply to my post:

I have kids I don't even know stop me and ask me to twirl my skirt! (And since I never wear pencil skirts, they are rarely disappointed.)

My son found a baby squirrel in a parking lot while out Home Depot shopping with his dad once. This was when he was about two. He came home and said, "MOM! We found a squirrel in the parking lock!" (Yeah, he said "parking lock" with such conviction.) They had brought the baby home in one of his father's boots that had been in the truck. His little eyes were still shut. We raised that little guy (whose eyes never opened, so we named him Mr. Magoo) and although he had a cage, we never kept him in it. He just ran around the house. (And no, we weren't on a farm.) At one point, daddy got tired of having a squirrel in the house, so he banned him to the garage. It got too cold, and he wasn't accustomed to it, so he was dead in the morning. (The squirrel, not the dad.) At least that's my theory.

Oh how I dreaded telling my son that his squirrel was dead. He got up, and I knelt down and said, "Honey... I have some bad news." He just looked at me with those wide blue eyes. I said, "Your squirrel died in the night." He stood there and thought for a minute and then said, "Now we have to go get another squirrel who is NOT dead!"

That's my squirrel story.


And that only proves why I adore Teri. Please join me in worshipping that skirt-twirling-blind-squirrel-loving gal.

My life is better having her around.

5 comments:

Jen said...

I think it had much more to do with the fact that I've had the cold from... wherever... and wasn't tracking well.

You always write beautifully. ;-)

painted maypole said...

oh. i missed the squirrel/twirl thing, too. i thought she was just trying to get you into her room. ;)

and those ARE great skirt and squirrel stories

cathouse teri said...

Aw... tha was so sweet! I have noticed that some of my comments are "post length." In fact, there have been times I was in the middle of writing one and though, "What the hell? Why don't I just post this at my place!" And I do.

I too am guilty of not seeing the misunderstanding-of-hearing you made with your daughter. Seriously. I thought maybe she had said the squirrel thing to trick you into her room, too! Such a clever girl, methought!

Just figured it was a day of squirrels and twirls!

It was a very creative connection, but went right over my head! Although I thoroughly enjoyed your post. Obviously! :)

Thanks for the linkin luv!

Jenn in Holland said...

Teri rocks. Someday I am gonna call out to her and get her to twirl her skirt for me too!
What a sweet post! (As was the original about the squirrel and that little lady who does so love a dress!!)

Jenn in Holland said...
This comment has been removed by the author.