Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A most empty act

Am I the only one who saw this?

May 13, 2008

Bush Says Gave Up Golf In Solidarity With Iraq Dead
By REUTERS

Filed at 11:18 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President George W. Bush said on Tuesday he quit playing golf in 2003 out of respect for the families of Americans killed in the war in Iraq.

"I don't want some mom whose son may have recently died to see the Commander-in-Chief playing golf," Bush said in an interview with Yahoo and Politico.com.

"I feel I owe it to the families to be as -- to be in solidarity as best as I can with them. And I think playing golf during a war just sends the wrong signal," he said.

Bush said his last round of golf was in August 2003 when he was informed that a truck bomb had wrecked the U.N. headquarters in Baghdad, killing 22 people, including U.N. envoy Sergio Vieira de Mello.

"They pulled me off the golf course and I said, it's just not worth it anymore to do," Bush said.

(Writing by JoAnne Allen; editing by Todd Eastham)

President Bush has got to be kidding. Giving up golf sends the right signal? How about never getting us in Iraq? How about getting us out?

That will send a better "signal".

9 comments:

June said...

Couldn't agree more! By the way, is it my imagination or does your blog have a new look?

MsPicketToYou said...

And by "golf" he means: "mission accomplished."

I am so entirely appalled by him.

Flower Child said...

Jon Stewart went off on this. And Keith Olberman showed that in fact he didn't give up golf right away -kept playing for weeks afterwards. And don't even mention his numerous other hobbies. grrrrrrr

Goofball said...

Oh gosh, he can't seriously mean this, can he? what a dumb ass

Korie said...

I didn't see Jon Stewart's remarks but Keith Olberman's are worth watching. I totally fell in love with him when he verbally trounced Dumbass W.

Jen said...

Did you see Keith's editorial?? Oh my gosh, Bush is the biggest disgrace to our country of all time.

Jami said...

I posted Keith Olberman's commentary at my place

Heather said...

Oh, well since he explained it like that...

ridiculous.

painted maypole said...

not much longer 'till he's gone... hooray!