Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Spelling test

Every week the boys have to study seven words and two challenge words for their Friday spelling test. Each night around dinner time I will quiz them on the words. Without prompting a four-year-old assists with a sentence to provide context. The brothers spell the words without even listening to her which means I am hearing her sentence at the same time as the spelling. Quite a combination of words, letters and singing.

Now

"Come downstairs right now!" offers up the younger sister.

Around

"We run around the house."

Cow

"A cow says 'moo'."

Found

"I found some money that is yours."

How

"'How do you measure a year in the life?'" (yes, she really sings this from Rent)

Wants

"Wants upon a time ago..."

Along

"Along long time ago..."

And for the challenge words:

Never

"Never, ever do that!"

Please

"Please stop!"

11 comments:

painted maypole said...

those sentences are hysterical!

Korie said...

Heh, when you're learning another language you really understand those sort of faux pas.
I remember spelling tests...I always liked them.
I'm a dork.

m.o.M. said...

Sometimes listening to our kids is like listening to ourselves!

Great post!

June said...

Pretty impressive 4 year old!

CableGirl said...

hehe. ok, first of all kudos to the 4 year old for using so many of the words properly. And I LOVE the mixups.

Goofball said...

wants upon time is so funny.


sounds like Dutchspeaking people singing along with the radio :)

Flower Child said...

I'm howling! Awesome! Smart 4-year old

Jen said...

This completely cracked me up. Thanks! I needed that. ;-)

Jenn in Holland said...

Snort.
She's so dang cool.

the dragonfly said...

I love "Wants upon a time."

Priceless. :)

Brillig said...

I LOVE THAT YOUR KIDS SING RENT!!! My kids sing Rent too. (Well, okay, I skip some songs. "The Tango Maureen" isn't really the sort of thing I'd like for someone to start belting out during Sunday School, for instance...)

Hilarious, by the way. I was particularly fond of "wants upon a time" too. hahahaha. What a little character!