Tuesday, May 13, 2008

We were outed

One of the pure joys Jenn in Holland got to experience while visiting me was the ho-hum life I live. Seriously - she was part of school drop-offs and pick-ups, baseball practice, driving to work, grocery shopping, preparing for soccer games....

But the best thing I dragged her too? The preschool fundraiser.

Now Amazing Guy had one of the best excuses for not being with us at the preschool fundraiser. He was with the boys' cub scout troop as they spent the afternoon at the minor league baseball stadium, participating in a clinic, watching a game and - get this - spending the night camping in the outfield. That last part didn't happen because it was too cold. But Amazing Guy was doing his duty.

So I took Jenn in Holland to a preschool fundraiser. At least it had wine. And peanut M&M's.

And people who kept asking us how we met.

The best reaction came from a couple I didn't know. They asked us how we met. Our usual response went something like this:

Me - "Should we tell the truth?"

Jenn - "You live here. Say whatever you want."

Me - "We met through blogging."

The fellow of the couple went slack jawed and stared. As Jenn put it "you could see his brain working and he was trying to figure out what to say next."

It took a very long time for him to figure out what to say next. I don't recall his response but to his credit he did keep talking to us.

And I couldn't imagine a better reason to be outed as a blogger. With Jenn in Holland.

12 comments:

Heather said...

I think this blogging thing is pretty foreign to a lot of people!

Korie said...

I really didn't think blogging was something that is considered strange or unusual. Now I met my boyfriend through an MMORPG and that I can see as making people look at us funny, but blogging? yeesh.

Jenn in Holland said...

I still think we should've said we met at an internet dating site...

hehe.

CableGirl said...

It really is a culture unto itself. Those who aren't a part of it really just don't get it. Although to the credit of some, they try.

Jami said...

What is this "blogging" thing? Is it something they do only in the Netherlands? I hear they do some strange stuff over there. And in Boston.

(Laughing at being outed.)

Jen said...

I get some strange reactions, too - especially from some folks where I teach.

Gunfighter said...

I can't tell you how pleased I am for both of you that you got to spend some time together.

GF

Fourier Analyst said...

Oh I am so jealous. and I would have gone with internet dating as well...

In fact, if I ever come visit, I will insist on this as an intro!! I will even gone so far as to twitch while denying being an axe murderess!!

Did the red boots get to come out to play too?

Goofball said...

hahaha

yep non bloggers don't seem to get bloggers. Whaaa geeks, whaa weird people, whaa people with too much time and no social life. Huh and they make friends? How weird :p

painted maypole said...

oh ack. now that I've been doing this nearly a year i feel like I'm keeping this big dirty secret when I don't tell people about it. but I just don't want all my aquaitances, and people from my church, reading the blog.

Wholly Burble said...

OK, FIRST--I am STILL rather green-eyed you two got to be together and I wasn't there!

Second: WINE at a PRESCHOOL fundraiser? At my grandkids' preschool we got Koolaid and three kinds of cookies.

Third: If I hadn't gotten in to blogging myself, my pre-conceived notion had run more along the line of people sharing their "personal" journals--which made me wonder why they'd do that. So the concept of making friends, "corresponding" basically through blogs and comments was a very pleasant revelation for me when I began blogging. I can see "outsiders" not getting it IF they've never taken part in the Blogosphere.

Fourth: You mean you two didn't meet at Harmony.com?

Unknown said...

Yeah, other friends and I have had that reaction too. LOL.