This is so sad. Over the weekend the local paper reported that a very popular bracelet sold by a small charity for cancer work at a local hospital has been recalled. You cannot walk around my town without seeing these bracelets sold in hair salons and little shops. Women wear them everywhere and they have been given as gifts (one woman told me she bought them for teachers, bus drivers and others as Christmas presents last year). Why were the bracelets recalled?
Because the spacers between the big beads are filled with lead. Even after the Chinese manufacturers promised the charity in writing it did not use lead in producing the spacers.
Apparently a 9-month-old baby had been teething on the bracelet and ingested enough lead to require medical assistance. Don't go blaming the parents for letting the kid gnaw on it. I have certainly used non-traditional items to survive teething.
So toys, lunch bags, and now jewelry to raise funds for cancer research? My kids complained bitterly for years that I wouldn't buy them "character" toys. We have almost no toys based on characters from television shows or movies in the house. And while I wasn't doing it to save them from potential lead-poisoning, it sure made my life easier looking at the list of recalled toys.
But now? I get to say to my kids how I kept them safe from toxic toys. And now the boys themselves check labels to see if something is "Made in China".
They ask me if it is safe.
I don't know. I hate that.